Re: files left in build directory after distclean

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: files left in build directory after distclean
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:30:34 -0400

On 2012-05-22 13:05 -0500, Adam Mercer wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Nick Bowler <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Probably all you need to do is add these generated files to CLEANFILES,
> > e.g.,
> >
> >  CLEANFILES = git_version.py git_version.sed
> >
> > so that "make clean" deletes them.
>
> I'd thought of that, but what puzzles me (and the reason I didn't use
> it) is that it is only complaining about git_version.py and
> git_version.sed and not LALAppsVCSInfo.h which is generated in the
> same way? Why is LALAppsVCSInfo.h OK, but the others aren't?

Since you listed the LALAppsVCSInfo.h file in lalapps_version_SOURCES
variable, that header got included in your distribution tarball.  It
therefore was not generated at all during the build done by distcheck,
so nothing needed to be cleaned (in fact, it would be a mistake for
distclean to remove it in this case).

You should probably either list the header in MAINTAINERCLEANFILES so
that "make maintainer-clean" will delete it, or, if including the header
in your distribution was unintentional, you should remove it from
lalapps_version_SOURCES.

Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)