BUG: AC_PROG_FC does not define GCF when compiler is gfortran

From: Fabrício Zimmerer Murta
Subject: BUG: AC_PROG_FC does not define GCF when compiler is gfortran
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 03:50:52 -0300

If I read
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Specifying-Target-Triplets,
 I read:
If using gfortran or g77 (the GNU Fortran compilers), then set the shell
variable GFC to ‘yes’. If the output variable FCFLAGS was not already set in
the environment, then set it to -g -02 for GNU g77 (or -O2 where g77 does not
accept -g). Otherwise, set FCFLAGS to -g for all other Fortran compilers.

But this is not what happens. There’s no code on fortran.m4 to fill such
variable, as there’s for GCC and G77 variables. This should be simple to fix
and be present on a next variable.

I found this while adequating configure.ac for cross-compiling. I realised that
just checking for ‘gcc’ ‘icc’ ‘gfortran’ ‘ifort’ is not enough to define the
compiler, as the host might be attached to it, so I found GFC variable
interesting to define for the GNU versions. I will be using
ac_cv_fc_compiler_gnu  for now.

I hope this information helps!

- fabrício