How do I make a .dylib library with non standard name

From: Erie Guy
Subject: How do I make a .dylib library with non standard name
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 21:00:11 -0400

I’m working on a project where I would like to use Automake to build a library
for mac osx that will be dlopened by existing programs expecting a non-standard
name.  I’ve been able to get a library generated with the .dylib extension
using a name in a standard format When I change the name to a non-standard form
and apply the –module flag to the LDFLAGS, the library is generated as a bundle
with a .so extension.  Is there some way to use Automake to generate a dylib
with a non-standard name?  Is this the intended functionality or a bug in the
Autotools?