Re: [Automake] How to get debug symbols in the executable?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Automake] How to get debug symbols in the executable?
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 10:28:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012, Marcelo Zimbres wrote:

Hi,

I am having some trouble to debug programs built from autotools. I am
following the steps:

$ ./configure CXXFLAGS="-g -O0"
$ make
$ libtool --mode=execute gdb --arg ./swat_find arg_list

When I run the last line, I get the error message:

Reading symbols from
/home/marcelo/Public/swat/debug/.libs/lt-swat_find...(no debugging symbols
found)...done.

Why there are no symbols? The output of make shows the flags have been
passed to gcc, for example:

This seems that it might be a library or loadable module but GDB is designed to debug whole programs. You also need to consider how the program using this library or loadable module was built.

If the using program is C rather than C++, you would also need to specify CFLAGS"-g -O0".

Bob

libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include/root
-I/usr/local/include/root -I -I -g -O0 -MT libswat_la-TDKernel.lo -MD -MP
-MF .deps/libswat_la-TDKernel.Tpo -c ../TDKernel.cxx -o
libswat_la-TDKernel.o >/dev/null 2>&1

I couldn't also find the -s option which would discard the symbols. Can
someone help me?

Thanks,
Marcelo

ps. I am using automake version 1.11.3