Re: distinguish automake 1.11 from 1.12+ at autoconf time

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: distinguish automake 1.11 from 1.12+ at autoconf time
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 17:36:39 -0600

On 08/06/2012 05:29 PM, Peter Johansson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to distinguish automake 1.11 from 1.12 (or later) at autoconf
> time. I wonder is there's any documented macro that was introduced in
> 1.12 that I could use to m4_ifdef?

If nothing else, the autoconf philosophy of feature checks being better
than version checks should guide your decision here.

What _specific_ feature are you using from 1.12 that wasn't present in
1.11?  Or put another way, either your configure.ac works equally well
with both versions (so you don't care which version), or there's
something you do with 1.12 that doesn't work with 1.11 and therefore you
are trying to make it conditional so that 1.11 can still process the
rest of the file.  Determine that feature, and we are that much closer
to helping you conditionalize your configure.ac to work with both versions.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266