Re: distinguish automake 1.11 from 1.12+ at autoconf time

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: distinguish automake 1.11 from 1.12+ at autoconf time
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 22:13:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Eric Blake wrote:

What _specific_ feature are you using from 1.12 that wasn't present in
1.11?  Or put another way, either your configure.ac works equally well
with both versions (so you don't care which version), or there's
something you do with 1.12 that doesn't work with 1.11 and therefore you
are trying to make it conditional so that 1.11 can still process the
rest of the file.  Determine that feature, and we are that much closer
to helping you conditionalize your configure.ac to work with both versions.

This logic is reversed. I am mostly worried about features that my package currently depends on which have been announced to be deprecated for no apparent reason, and without a sufficiently functional work-around, and with only the sound of crickets chirping when these issues are brought up on the list.

Most likely others are also worried that their project will stop working properly if a newer Automake is used. Automake provides a means to prevent a lesser version of Automake from being used, but not a greater version because it was always assumed that documented Automake functionality was like a contract which would never be broken without good cause.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn