Re: distinguish automake 1.11 from 1.12+ at autoconf time

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: distinguish automake 1.11 from 1.12+ at autoconf time
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 11:04:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

I am mostly worried about features that my package
currently depends on which have been announced to be deprecated for no
apparent reason, and without a sufficiently functional work-around, and
with only the sound of crickets chirping when these issues are brought up
on the list.

Care to report the grips you're having to the bug-automake list, so that
a proper bug report will be opened and will register all the details and
the discussions about problem, instead of having them get lost in the
archives somewhere?  I remember your problem has something to do with the
dynamic computing of the version string for your package, but, needless
to say, I've forgotten about all the relevant details.

Yes, the problem is that when m4 is used to evaluate the package version information, the values are cached by autoconf and new values are ignored. The problem would be solved if there was a way to prevent autoconf from caching these values, or over-riding the cached values.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn