Re: Automake vs. Automake-NG

From: Diego Elio Pettenò
Subject: Re: Automake vs. Automake-NG
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 08:09:44 -0700

On 21/08/2012 08:06, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Exactly.  The -NG moniker would have made no sense.  What could have
> made sense would have been a mapping like

Yes that would have helped _a lot_.

Another thing that would have helped would have been out-of-the-box
support for multiple installed versions, whereas it seems most
distributions had to reinvent a different way to deal with this.

As of today, Gentoo still ships quite a few packages that use autoconf
2.1x, and that's quite painful as we can't update them to newer automake
either (when they use automake at all), at least not without rebuilding
the buildsystem altogether, which in turn means we have to keep
automake-1.4 1.5 and so on around. Sigh!

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
address@hidden — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/