Re: Measuring test duration?

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Measuring test duration?
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:19:57 +0200

On 09/12/2012 06:14 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I'm running a test suite on an underpowered machine, and want to
>> have test results automatically annotated with how long each one took.
>> Some of our tests are gtest based, and those already do what I want, e.g.
>>
>> [       OK ] RecentServerOnly.FailedPermissionize (43 ms)
>>
>> A quick hack to my Makefile.in did something similar for simple
>> automake-generated tests, e.g.
>
> I would love to have test duration reports for my tests as well.
>
> It would be much easier to add test duration reports when using
> Automake's TAP test driver.  The TAP test driver is cumbersome to
> use without adding some common wrapper functions.  Since the TAP
> test output string is generated dynamically by your code (your
> wrapper function) it could include the time as well.  This is
> easier than hacking Automake.

Or, if you only have "simple" tests (that is, tests whose outcome is
completely and exclusively determined by their exit status) you could
provide a custom test driver that enhances the Automake default one
to also report timing for your test runs.  For more info, see the
documentation at:

<http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Custom-Test-Drivers>

HTH,
  Stefano