Re: Pre-built binary package

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Pre-built binary package
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 12:02:24 -0600

On 09/20/2012 11:56 AM, Too, Justin A. wrote:
> Hi Baurzhan,
>
> On 9/20/12 10:52 AM, "Baurzhan Ismagulov" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:24:28AM -0700, Too, Justin A. wrote:
>>> I would like to build and distribute a pre-built binary package for my
>>> project
>>
>> For which OS / distribution?
>
> For example: Linux (rhel5/6) and Ubuntu.

Those are different distros, and therefore have different rules on how
to package binaries.  You sound like you're trying to reinvent yourself
as a distro.  My advice: don't.  Let the distros package binaries, and
you focus on distributing source.

The ONLY way you can expect to ship a pre-built binary in your tarball
and have it work for all possible users installing your tarball is if
your binary is architecture and OS-independent (such as java bytecode).
 In all other cases, it makes more sense for the user to build the
binary themselves from the source (where user includes major distros,
who will then package it up in .rpm or apt formats as appropriate for
the distro, and where the distro package-manager software like yum or
apt-get can then be used to install that binary in desired locations).

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-919-301-3266