Re: Python macros

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Python macros
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 09:53:43 +0200

On 09/23/2012 08:31 PM, Brandon Invergo wrote:

> [SNIP]
>
> python.m4 in Automake is much more complete, and these macros are the
> direct decendents of that file, but to me at least, it's confusing that
> these macros should be implemented in Automake and not in Autoconf (or
> Autoconf Archive for that matter).

I guess the reason for that is that when Automake introduced support for
the _PYTHON primary, no Autoconf macro existed that dealt with python, so
the Automake developers rolled their own macros, mostly tailored to the
specific needs of Automake.

> So I'm not sure if they should be submitted to that project.

I say the correct way to proceed is to implement python support in
Autoconf, and then have Automake build upon that (maybe extending
it where necessary, albeit I hope there will be no need for that).

> [SNIP]

Thanks,
  Stefano