Re: looking for a good example of non-recursive Make using project

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: looking for a good example of non-recursive Make using project
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:43:44 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012, Václav Zeman wrote:

Hi.

I am looking for a good example of a project with non-recursive Make
that is using Automake, that is not trivial. I would like to convert my
project, log4cplus, to non-recursive Make style, if it is possible. Any
recommendations?

I am not sure if it is a "good" example (might not use official recommended practices) but GraphicsMagick (~300K lines of code) has been using non-recursive make since not long after Automake supported it.

Parallel build is shown to scale very well on multi-core systems (tested on up to 64 cores). I am observing 86% per-core scalability for fully optimized (-O2) debuggable (-g -g3 -ggdb) builds, with the linker being the main limiter of scalability.

Make sure to avoid any directory recursion and avoid use of things like libtool convenience libraries.

Try to simplify the dependency chain so as many files may be compiled at once as possible.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn