Re: looking for a good example of non-recursive Make using project

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: looking for a good example of non-recursive Make using project
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:25:34 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012, Peter Johansson wrote:
Makefile.am [in topdir]. For those fragment files, it would probably be confusing if paths were inserted into variables. Perhaps one could have a switch to turn that feature on.

Yes, it would be good to have a syntax which tells Automake to perform path substitutions based on the relative path of the Makefile include fragment. Otherwise Automake would operate as it does now. This syntax would allow subdirectories to be moved around without needing the modify the Makefile include fragments. Existing recursive per-subdirectory Makefile.am files should be easily updateable to work with a non-recursive build. In fact, it may be that the updated per-subdirectory Makefile.am files could still be used to support a recursive configuration depending on how they are used.

I believe that I proposed a syntax on this list in late 2003 or early 2004. Perhaps my posting can be found in a mail archive somewhere.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn