Re: looking for a good example of non-recursive Make using project

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: looking for a good example of non-recursive Make using project
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:00:02 +0900

NightStrike <address@hidden> writes:
> If you include src/more/Makefile.am into src/Makefile.am (a perfectly
> valid thing to do), you will be unpleasantly surprised that
> src/more/Makefile.am has to actually know where it is in the source
> tree.  It needs lines like this:
>
> prog_SOURCES += more/file3.c more/file4.c
>
> and **NOT** this:
>
> prog_SOURCES += file3.c file4.c
>
> It's really annoying.  It means that renaming a directory is reaaaaaaly hard.

Yeah, it would be nice if automake had some sort of mechanism to allow
more natural names in files included from subdirs...

What that mechanism would be, though, I have no idea.

Typically when I've done this, I've used the variable idea mentioned
by Eric to at least make it less annoying, but it's still ugly and
kind of a pain...

[e.g.
s = my/dir
blah_OINK = ${s}/file1.cc  ${s}/file2.cc ...
]

-miles

--
Selfish, adj. Devoid of consideration for the selfishness of others.