AM_PROG_MKDIR, gettext, and automake

From: Karl Berry
Subject: AM_PROG_MKDIR, gettext, and automake
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 01:17:43 GMT

      - The long-obsolete (since automake 1.10) AM_PROG_MKDIR m4 macro will
      next major Automake version (1.13):

Yes, well, speaking of AM_PROG_MKDIR.  We don't use it explicitly in
Texinfo.  But I get the warning about it every time I rerun
automake, because our configure.ac includes the usual line:

AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external])

The result of that line is:
configure.ac:260: warning: The 'AM_PROG_MKDIR_P' macro is deprecated, and will
soon be removed.
configure.ac:260: You should use the Autoconf-provided 'AC_PROG_MKDIR_P' macro
instead,
configure.ac:260: and use '$(MKDIR_P)' instead of '$(mkdir_p)'in your
Makefile.am files.

(which is quite annoying, since it's not under my control, but anyway.)

I have the latest official release of gettext, 0.18.1.1 (although
unfortunately gettext --version evidently drops the final .1).
Also of automake, 1.12.5.

I see that Jim discovered this back in July:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2012-07/msg00014.html
but I'm afraid I cannot discern what the resolution was.

For that matter, I can't see how there can be any good resolution until
there is a new gettext release.  Was the problem reported there?
I didn't see it in the various archives.

At any rate, also unfortunately, as gettext is now looking for a
maintainer (as I just posted,
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gettext/2012-11/msg00002.html),
a new release might be quite some time coming in any case.

Meanwhile, it seems like it would be a tremendous, and unnecessary,
headache if there was an Automake release that removed a macro that
the current release of gettext requires.

But I guess we can wait and see whether the next gettext or
automake 1.13 is ready first ...

karl