Re: AM_CFLAGS no longer in the manual

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: AM_CFLAGS no longer in the manual
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 19:20:43 -0500

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/12/2012 23:06, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> Seems reasonable (otherwise a stack trace is useless). Also, it does
>> not affect performance. Confer: "How does the gcc -g option affect
>> performance?" http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2005-03/msg00032.html.
>
> Correct. But in Gentoo I had to end up writing an explicit guide about
> it as people (both upstream developers and users) tend to mix up the two
> things: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml
>
> Unfortunately there are a number of packages that do something like
> (pseudo-autoconf — I know it's broken)
>
> AC_ARG_ENABLE([debug], , [CFLAGS="-O0 -g3 -DDEBUG"], [CFLAGS="-O2 -g0
> -DNDEBUG"])
>
> which is a pain for us to manage (and we usually end up removing and
> just handling the debug handling on our side.
Ah, I can see where that could be a problem.

Devil's advocate: what happens when projects start adding a Test
configuration (in addition to Debug and Release)? In Test, things like
private and protected are defined to public so interfaces can be
tested and state asserted?

Jeff