Re: Inconsistencies in boolean parameters

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Inconsistencies in boolean parameters
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 16:18:09 +0100

On 02/07/2013 03:06 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> While working on my guide, I've noticed that there is an inconsistency
> with the way boolean parameters are passed.
>
> AM_MAINTAINER_MODE expects [enable] to be on-by-default.

(Side note: using AM_MAINTAINER_MODE these days is generally a bad idea
IMHO; we should find a way to deprecate its usage in documentation, and
eventually start warning at runtime if it is used -- and don't worry,
with *no* plans for a later removal!)

> AM_SILENT_RULES expects [yes] to be on-by-default.

Indeed, using 'enable' instead of 'yes' and 'disable' instead of 'no' would
be (marginally) clearer, and more consistent with the implied command line
of configure (which accepts the options '--enable-silent-rules' and
'--disable-silent-rules').

> Maybe it's something to keep in mind for future cleanups to accept both
> forms, and normalize the documentation?

Sure, why not.  As usual, in the meantime, patches are welcome.

Thanks,
  Stefano