on naming test files for parallel test harness and not removing extensio

From: Marco Maggi
Subject: on naming test files for parallel test harness and not removing extensions
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 11:01:25 +0100

Ciao,

  this is somewhat a silly request... :-) I am a new user of
the parallel  test harness; I have  a project with a  set of
tests that I want to  run under different implementations of
the same language; I put all the tests in a library and then
load the  library from test  programs, one program  for each
language implementation[1].

  Due to the way Automake names  the .log and .trs files (by
removing the  selected file extensions from  program files),
for the language implementations Guile  and Vicare I have to
name the test programs:

   test-sofa-guile.guile
   test-sofa-vicare.vicare

rather than just:

   test-sofa.guile
   test-sofa.vicare

else I get .log and .trs  file names conflict; this is a bit
ugly.  Unless I missed it, there  is no way to overcome this
uglyness with Automake up to version 1.13.

  Other  users may  be in  the same  situation (for  example
Pythonistas  also  have  to   deal  with  multiple  language
implementations).   So  I  wonder   if  it  is  possible  to
introduce an option that disables building the names of .log
and .trs  files by first stripping  the selected extensions;
so program files like:

   test-sofa.guile
   test-sofa.vicare

would generate: