Re: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases, and a new branching scheme for the Git repository
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 17:50:01 +0900

2013/2/12 Stefano Lattarini <address@hidden>:
> Mostly fair points; but the biggest issue with this proposal (not
> sure why I didn't think of it before, sorry) is that it is not at
> all clear that a version like "1.13.0.1" is supposed to be a beta
> release.  People will easily mistake it for a stable release.

How about this:  pick whatever scheme you like for other reasons, and
then add "-beta" to those version numbers.  In other words, a purely
informational suffix, which is not actually necessary for version
sorting...

(note that the "a", "b", etc, suffixes have the same issue)

-miles

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.