Re: Autoreconf stops with "non-POSIX variable name"

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Autoreconf stops with "non-POSIX variable name"
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 17:19:05 -0600

On 04/01/2013 05:07 PM, Borchert, Oliver wrote:
> Eric and Russ,
>
> thanks for the reply. After long testing back and forth I decided to use
> AC_SUBST.
> My solution might not be the cleanest but it works for me.

It may work for you, but it alienates all users that were previously
able to build your package with non-GNU make.  (Are there any?)

> In configure.ac I added the following line
> AC_SUBST([DOLLAR_SIGN],[$])
>
> In the Makefile.am I changed my previous line into
> address@hidden@(shell cat $(SRC_DIR)/$(MY_REVISION_FILE))

If you care about non-GNU make users, then you can't use $(shell).  And
as long as you are going to mandate that your package be built with GNU
make, then you might as well go all the way and document that fact in
your README file, as well as:

>>> This is actually an Automake question, but the short answer is that
>>> you probably have fatal warnings enabled and you need to add
>>> -Wno-portability to the Automake flags (in AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, for
>> example).

...tell automake that you don't care about the non-portability aspect by
adding -Wno-portability to your AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, at which point you'd
no longer need your @DOLLAR_SIGN@ hack.