Propagating $(FCLIBS) within a convenience library

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: Propagating $(FCLIBS) within a convenience library
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:18:25 -0500

Hi all,

I believe this is Automake, but feel free to tell me to try the libtool lists...

I've used AC_FC_LIBRARY_LDFLAGS to populate $(FCLIBS).  Using libtool,
I'm trying to compile a Fortran-based convenience library:
    AM_LIBTOOLFLAGS = --tag=FC
    noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la
    libfoo_la_SOURCES  = module.F90
    libfoo_la_LIBADD   = $(FCLIBS)

In another directory, I want FCLIBS to be propagated whenever I do
something like
    libbar_la_LIBADD = ../anotherdir/libfoo.la.
so that libbar.la doesn't need to know that libfoo used Fortran.

I've noticed that this propagation seems to work for gfortran (judging
from the contents of libfoo.la which will contain other .la files) but
it does not for ifort (where libfoo.la lists none of the runtime
libraries in .la form or otherwise).  This confuses me.

Am I misunderstanding something about LIBADD's behavior when $(FCLIBS)
contains non-libtool libraries?  Am I incorrectly expressing the
dependency on the Fortran runtime libraries?

Thanks,
Rhys