Re: Can automake move aclocal.m4 into subdirectory?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Can automake move aclocal.m4 into subdirectory?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 06:50:46 +0200

() Bob Rossi <address@hidden>
() Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:52:27 -0400

   On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:06:02PM -0400, Bob Rossi wrote:
   > Is it possible to tell automake to move the generated file
   > aclocal.m4 into a build subdirectory?

In (info "(autoconf) autoreconf Invocation")
there is:

    If you want `autoreconf' to pass flags that are not listed here on
 to `aclocal', set `ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS' in your `Makefile.am'.  Due to a
 limitation in the Autoconf implementation these flags currently must be
 set on a single line in `Makefile.am', without any backslash-newlines.

so if you use autoreconf (which is Recommended) in the bootstrap flow,
you can try adding

 ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = --output build/m4/aclocal.m4

to the top-level Makefile.am.  I suppose:

 AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR(build/m4)

will then be sufficient for the tools to DTRT.  I haven't tried this
approach yet, having just learned about it, prompted by your query (so
thanks for asking!), however.  Does it work?

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
GPG key: 4C807502