Re: Is there a way to tell automake to not include rules for building .p

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Is there a way to tell automake to not include rules for building .ps files from a .texi?
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 12:52:26 +0200

Hi Rick.

On 05/01/2013 01:18 AM, Rick Jones wrote:
> I have been asked if I was willing to eschew creating the .ps version
> of the netperf manual.

Why?  What harm do the existence of the "DVI -> PostScript" recipe do to you?
Just avoid generating the PostScript file if you are not interested in it
(I do that all the time ;-).  But if somebody else wants to later create such
a PostScript for his own reasons, he still can.  The best of both worlds.

> I gather that automake has automagically included rules for building
> netperf.ps from netperf.texi and I am wondering if there is a way to
> ask it to not do that?

Not that I know of [1]; and I honestly see no reason to introduce such a
knob, sorry.

  [1] Apart from manually overriding some Automake-provided variables
      and recipes, like "$(PSS)" and ".dvi.ps" --- but that is a crude
      hack rather than a real solution.

Regards,
  Stefano