Re: Is there a way to tell automake to not include rules for building .p

From: Rick Jones
Subject: Re: Is there a way to tell automake to not include rules for building .ps files from a .texi?
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 09:47:31 -0700

On 05/01/2013 03:52 AM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
Hi Rick.

On 05/01/2013 01:18 AM, Rick Jones wrote:
I have been asked if I was willing to eschew creating the .ps version
of the netperf manual.

Why?  What harm do the existence of the "DVI -> PostScript" recipe do to you?
Just avoid generating the PostScript file if you are not interested in it
(I do that all the time ;-).  But if somebody else wants to later create such
a PostScript for his own reasons, he still can.  The best of both worlds.

Why is a good question. I am the messenger in this case. I'm not sure that the .ps actually makes successfully for the netperf manual, but I do not know that to be the reason for the request. I have been told there has to be some special handling for the .ps in the Debian package building of netperf. That is all Dark Magic to me though.

Indeed, a "make netperf.ps" fails - there are a boatload of messages about over and underful hboxes, and the end is:

Transcript written on netperf.log.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: no such file or directory: netperf.dvi
make: *** [netperf.dvi] Error 1

rick

I gather that automake has automagically included rules for building
netperf.ps from netperf.texi and I am wondering if there is a way to
ask it to not do that?

Not that I know of [1]; and I honestly see no reason to introduce such a
knob, sorry.

   [1] Apart from manually overriding some Automake-provided variables
       and recipes, like "$(PSS)" and ".dvi.ps" --- but that is a crude
       hack rather than a real solution.

Regards,
   Stefano