install-strip variant that strips then installs?

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: install-strip variant that strips then installs?
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 11:12:31 -0500

I gather that 'make install-strip' installs and then strips binaries.
Is there some variant that reverses the order?  If not, any
recommendations for how to write one in an Automake-compliant manner?

My unstripped binaries are absurdly large and my installation
directory is NFS-mounted.  So I get to pay lots of network overhead to
install what eventually becomes O(100MB) of binaries because the
unstripped copy is O(1.5GB).

Thanks,
Rhys