Re: make distcheck fails when modules not installed

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: make distcheck fails when modules not installed
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 06:24:37 -0500

* On 2013 06 Apr 20:33 -0500, NightStrike wrote:

> Looks like the link path isn't set right for the test programs

I can agree with that.  I chose to look at this again yesterday and
configured a work-around.

As the test programs are started with a generated shell script to pass
parameters, it was a simple matter to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the
directory in $(top_builddir) that contains the backend (module) library
used for internal testing.  This allowed 'make check' and 'make
distcheck' to now work properly.

To use the package's more general test program before installation one
will need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the local backend library on the
command line.  This has probably been obvious to others for some time,
but I'm still in discovery mode in a lot of ways.  ;-)

The only remaining issue is that of building a single static library
which fails due to the main library being installed in libdir using
lib_LTLIBRARIES and the backend libraries (modules) installed in
pkglibdir using pkglib_LTLIBRARIES.  But this may be more of a
understanding libtool and dlopen issue.

- Nate