Conditional variable based on silent or not silent?

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Conditional variable based on silent or not silent?
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 06:58:41 -0500

Perhaps this is more of a GNU Make question than of Automake.

The prjoect I work with uses Swig and while there is no provision for
turning off all warnings, certain warnings can be quelled.  While I can
add the needed option to the Makefile.am, I would like to place a
variable in that position that has the needed value when silent rules
are in effect and simply be an empty string when a verbose build is
requested.

As 'make V=1' can be used to override the silent rules created from
'configure', is it possible to write the variable with the ability to be
conditional at make time?  In other words, does make set some sort of
environment variable that I can test for to set my variable?  If not, I
am comfortable with quieting Swig manually.

- Nate