Re: Conditional variable based on silent or not silent?

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: Conditional variable based on silent or not silent?
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 11:51:30 -0500

* On 2013 08 Jun 07:59 -0500, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 12:58, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> >
> > As 'make V=1' can be used to override the silent rules created from
> > 'configure', is it possible to write the variable with the ability to be
> > conditional at make time?  In other words, does make set some sort of
> > environment variable that I can test for to set my variable?  If not, I
> > am comfortable with quieting Swig manually.
>
> I think you're missing the point of silent rules. Silent rules do not
> silence the compiler's warnings, but are rather designed so that
> _exactly those_ warnings are easier to notice...

Well, no, I'm not missing the point of silent rules completely as I use
them to good effect for just the purpose you've given.  In the case of
Swig we have a harmless group of warnings that are known.  I would just
be silencing *those* warnings so that any others would be obvious in
silent mode at compile time.

Thanks.

- Nate