Re: Ability to display verbose

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Ability to display verbose
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:30:12 +0200

On 06/27/2013 01:11 PM, James Hunt wrote:
> On 26/06/13 21:47, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>> On 06/26/2013 06:39 PM, James Hunt wrote:
>>> I'm struggling to coerce automake 1.13 to produce a verbose build log as
>>> used to
>>> be possible with previous releases.
>>>
>>> check.am in automake-1.13 still contains:
>>>
>>>     test x"$$VERBOSE" = x || cat $(TEST_SUITE_LOG);"
>>>
>>> ... but I cannot seem to force VERBOSE to work as it used to.
>>>
>> That's because, starting from Automake 1.13, the parallel testsuite harness
>> has been made the default one; this harness is quite silent, and even with
>> VERBOSE=yes, it only displays the logs of the non-passed tests (i.e., only
>> of the failed or skipped ones, or of the ones that passed unexpectedly).
>> Until Automake 1.12, the older (and more verbose) serial harness was the
>> default, so -- among other differences -- the output used to be more verbose.
>>
>> If you want to retain the use of the old serial harness in your project, you
>> have to use the 'serial-tests' option (recognized by automake 1.12, 1.13 and
>> the most recent 1.14, but unfortunately *not* buy automake 1.11).
>
> Ok. I've tried the trick from:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2013-01/msg00052.html
>
> ... but it doesn't appear to work for me.

Hmm... Are you using an automake installed from sources, or one that comes
with your distribution?  If so, it might be that your distribution has
patches automake to re-introduce the old deleted macros; in which case,
the trick referenced above won't work.

Anyway, my suggestion is: just start requiring Automake >= 1.12 (or even
>= 1.13), and use the 'serial-tests' option unconditionally.

Or better again: add the parallel-tests option (supported since automake
1.11, and the default since automake 1.13) and convert your testsuite to
be able to run in parellel mode (that is usually a good idea regardless).
Then add a custom target (to be run after "make check") that displays the
content of all the testsuite log files on stdout; e.g.:

    display-testsuite-logs:
        for f in $(TEST_LOGS); do printf "\n=== $$f ===\n\n"; cat $$f; done

> This behaviour change is causing a few
> problems for other projects too so I'd really like to find a way to reliably
> re-enable verbose output.

HTH,
  Stefano