Re: How to remove all newly generated files in amhello?

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: How to remove all newly generated files in amhello?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:30:43 +0700

[Moved to Automake List]

On Jul 31, 2013, at 8:00 AM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Gary V. Vaughan <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 31, 2013, at 5:15 AM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Creating-amhello.html
>>>
>>> I followed the above instructions to create amhello. After running
>>> `autoreconf -i` and `make`, it generated a lot of files. I tried to
>>> remove all newly generated files by `make distclean`. But this did not
>>> remove all the newly generated files. Could anybody let me know how to
>>> remove the newly generated files? Thanks.
>>

>>  $ make maintainer-clean
>
> No.

if maintainer-clean is not removing files that were generated by running make;
then MAINTAINERCLEANFILES is not set up properly, add the unexpected file
droppings with:

  MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = list of make generated files for maintainer cleanup

else if maintainer-clean is not removing files that you created by other means;
then that is to be expected - how can Automake know where they came from, and
whether
you want them removed or not?

else if you are feeling especially brave;
then you can list just the files you want to keep and nuke the rest with a
custom rule:

  ## untested, so make sure you have a backup if you intend to actually run
this!
  MYPRECIOUSFILES = list of files not to remove

  .PHONY: nuke
  nuke:
        for file in `find . -type f -print`; do \
          case ' $(MYPRECIOUSFILES) ' in \
            *" $$file "*) ;; \
            *) rm -f $$file ;; \
          esac; \
        done

else if you put the project in git;
then you can remove all the non-version controlled files with:

  $ git clean -dfx

else

  exit 1

fi # ;)