automake breaks my file by putting includes after rules; how do I fix th

From: Jason Gross
Subject: automake breaks my file by putting includes after rules; how do I fix this?
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 16:33:14 -0500

I have a Makefile.am which includes another file in order to get a list of
files it should compile (I don't want to require running autoreconf and
configure whenever you add a file that the makefile already knows how to
compile).  But this does not work with automake's generated all and all-am
targets, which compute their dependencies on the basis of the DATA
variable, which is auto-defined to be nobase_hott_DATA, which depends on
variables set in the included file.  How do I fix this?  (Should I submit a
bug report that includes should come before the autogenerated targets?)

-Jason