Re: only installing shared versions of some libs

From: Václav Zeman
Subject: Re: only installing shared versions of some libs
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:02:19 +0100

On 10 December 2013 09:47, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> I've recently adapted a project to support DSO plugins/modules
>
> The existing project includes normal libraries and binaries.  In a
> normal build, we want to
>
> a) build and install the shared and static versions of the normal libraries
>
> b) only install the shared versions of the plugins
>
> I don't mind whether static versions of the plugins are built (we don't
> currently use them) but I would prefer that "make install" does not
> install them
>
> Can anybody comment on the best way to do this?  The Makefile.am is
> linked from here (repro/plugins/example/Makefile.am):
>
> http://list.resiprocate.org/archive/resiprocate-commit/msg07875.html

This is completely untested suggestion:

I am assuming you are using Libtool as well. Given the Libtool[1] and
Automake manuals, I think it might be possible to do what you want by
modifying libexample_la_CXXFLAGS (or similar appropriate) variable to
add Libtool's -shared flag, which, I think, should/could do what you
want.

[1]:
http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Compile-mode.html#Compile-mode
[2]: http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Libtool-Flags.html