Re: generated version numbers

From: Peter Johansson
Subject: Re: generated version numbers
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:34:04 +1000

On 02/27/2014 04:47 AM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
So while the filestamps are technically correct, the generated Makefile
*will*  see that version.m4 is newer than config.h.in and regenerate it
via Makefile dependencies.

I suspect the answer is that at the end of the bootstrap script, if the
aclocal.m4 file is newer than the config.h.in file we need to touch
the config.h.in file.
Hi Harlan

File 'config.h.in' is generated by autoheader [I assume]. Autoheader will not touch the time-stamp of 'config.h.in' if the content doesn't change. This can be annoying, and is the reason Automake generated rule has a 'touch $@' after autoheader is called

$(srcdir)/config.h.in:  $(am__configure_deps)
    ($(am__cd) $(top_srcdir) && $(AUTOHEADER))
    rm -f stamp-h1
    touch $@

In my bootstrap script I issue autoreconf with option '--force', so I don't see this problem. If you think that is too expensive, you could set environment
variable AUTOHEADER with something like:

AUTOHEADER="autoheader -f" autoreconf -vi

Changing the behaviour of autoheader, I suspect will be met by some significant resistance.

Peter Johansson