Automake and deep directory structure

Subject: Automake and deep directory structure
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 12:10:24 +0100

I would like to learn a bit more about how to use automake (and the GNU build system in general) to build projects which are organized in a deep directory structure (apparently, also known as deep topology[¹]).

Consider the following directory structure:

.

└──src
    ├── bar
    │   └── component
    ├── baz
    └── foo
        ├── component1
        ├── component2
        ├── ...
        └── component-n

From what I've gathered, for this case automake offers essentially two approaches: set the project as a shallow directory structure, where ./src/Makefile.am is used to list all files in the project, and convert subdirs into convenience libraries[²].

As there any other options worth mentioning? And what's the recommended option?

Thanks,
Zé

[¹] http://seul.org/docs/autotut/
[²] http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Libtool-Convenience-Libraries.html