Re: Issues with subdir-objects enabled

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Issues with subdir-objects enabled
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:06:45 -0400

On 2014-04-22 16:15 +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:
> Is support for setting variables with names of source directories
> after automake is run (with configure scripts, or on the command line
> when make is run) is needed? If not, could variables in the paths of
> source files ("$(testd)") above could be expanded when automake is
> run?
>
> So Makefile currently has lines like
>
> include $(testd)/test-imgloader.Po
>
> and this would become
>
> include ctests/test-imgloader.Po
>
> with no opportunity to change the value of testd. Then config.status
> could read the name of the file from Makefile and create it properly.

Even if the value depended on configure-time substitutions (@address@hidden
style) I think there would be no problem here (maybe other problems
though) because the depfiles creation step happens afterwards.

Make-time substitutions for this sort of thing would be exceptionally
weird and I can't imagine it actually working properly in current
versions of Automake.

If config.status knew how to perform the variable substitutions
I think there would be no problem.  This may be too tricky to
implement in portable shell.  However, the same substitutions
could be done by postprocessing Makefile.in so I don't see why
it could not be done at Automake-time.

Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)