Cross-compile Automake And Perl

From: Nathan Royce
Subject: Cross-compile Automake And Perl
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 21:09:34 -0500

So I've been sort of using LFS as a guide, but putting my own spin on things.I
pull as many packages from their repositories as possible so I have the latest.
I then tar them with lz (archive).
I am cross compiling from amd64 to arm.In order to autogen.sh or bootstrap, I
need to have some things like automake/autoconf/libtool... and they rely on
perl as well as each of them needing themselves for autogen. Thus I
cross-compile automake, help2man, autoconf, libtool, intltool on amd64 and
since perl doesn't need any bootstrap, I can build perl from arm.So on the arm
devices, I build lzlib, plzip, unpack gnulib, perl and then build perl.
Now the next package uses autogen which results in: "automake (missing)". It
isn't missing though, and trying "/arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/automake" results
in: "-bash: /arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/automake: /cross-tools/bin/perl: bad
interpreter: No such file or directory"
So what happened is on amd64, I had built perl since I didn't have it and
prefixed it to "/cross-tools" (for amd64). I then make automake on amd64 for
arm and during configure, it sets PERL=/cross-tools/bin/perl. And on make, it
sets "#!/cross-tools/bin/perl -w" at the top of automake.
Since I can't make automake on arm because of autogen, I have to build it on
amd64. Do I just have to "sed" those scripts pointing to "cross-tools" into
pointing to "arm-linux-gnueabihf" instead, or is there a better way?