Re: Missing separator error can be caused by too many files in alternate

From: PenguinDude24
Subject: Re: Missing separator error can be caused by too many files in alternate recipe format
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 19:46:14 -0400

It turns out it is not a bug--just general error/quirk.

Okay, I found the error, and the reason why I been going insane over this over the past few hours.

My filenames have semi-colons in them. That is what triggered the "missing separator" error.

Makefile.am:

#   filename with semi-colons
template_file = data;sectionfoo;foo-1

dist_pkgdata_DATA = $(template_file)

#   generated Makefile rule here would cause make crash
$(dist_pkgdata_DATA): Makefile
        @echo 'no-op for datafile' $@

My solution is to use the transformation program option of Autotools (via configure.ac).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-- penguindude24