Re: Extending Automake to build non-file objects?

Subject: Re: Extending Automake to build non-file objects?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:01:07 +0100

On 06/14/2014 01:00 PM, Conrad Dean wrote:
Hey!

I have a project where I need to generate datasets that are not stored as
flat files.  I can use  a CLI interface to generate them off of others and
the same CLI to check when datasets were last modified.  I think I want to
use automake to describe the relationships between datasets, and detect
when an upstream dataset has been generated to update the downstream ones.

Would make be a good fit for that? or is it too-closely tied to just
dealing with files?

Thanks!
Conrad

As no one replied yet, here are my 0,02€.

Automake lets you specify makefile rules, as the contents of a Makefile.am are copied to Makefile.in verbatim[¹].

Therefore, if you can write a makefile that generates your datasets then you can extend automake to build them too.

And make certainly can generate your datasets.

Hope this helps,

--
Zé

[¹] http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Extending