Re: how to silence make distcheck?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: how to silence make distcheck?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 12:32:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014, Arne Babenhauserheide (IMK) wrote:

Hi,

I’m using silent rules with automake and I can silence make check by using

   autoreconf -i
   ./configure --quiet
   make check --quiet

But when I run make distcheck --quiet, I get the full configure output
and $(AM_V_P) seems to not be set in the Makefile.

   autoreconf -i
   make distcheck --quiet

Can I silence this?

Yes, I think so. Any additional options to be added to a subordinate distcheck configure may be supplied via the DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS Makefile variable. For my own project, I pass from configure.ac to the subordinate Makefile.am by using this code. Note that this example is only for "environment" settings but it should be easy enough to update it to pass --quiet.

in configure.ac:

#
# Save initial user-tunable values
#
LIBS_USER=$LIBS
for var in CC CFLAGS  CPPFLAGS CXX CXXCPP LDFLAGS LIBS ; do
  eval isset=\${$var+set}
  if test "$isset" = 'set' ; then
    eval val=$`echo $var`
    DISTCHECK_CONFIG_FLAGS="${DISTCHECK_CONFIG_FLAGS}'${var}=${val}' "
  fi
done
AC_SUBST(DISTCHECK_CONFIG_FLAGS)

in Makefile.am:

# Options to pass when running configure in the distcheck target.
#
# We want to preserve user-provided option variables so the same
# compiler, headers, and libraries are used as for a normal build.
DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS=$(DISTCHECK_CONFIG_FLAGS)

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn