Re: Path problem in staged build (choosing between staged build or norma

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Path problem in staged build (choosing between staged build or normal - but not both)?
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 09:58:41 -0700

Johan Persson <address@hidden> writes:

> The (non) solutions I have thought of (and rejected) are:

> 1. Copy the resources into the staging path (with an extra recipe in the
> makefile).  Not a good idea since this gets complicated since the
> movement should not be made when doing a build in the original tree but
> only for a staged build. Furthermore, "distclean" will give an error if
> these files are not manually removed again with another recipe and only
> when doing a staged build

For what it's worth, this is what I do for some similar problems around
building Perl and other language bindings.  It's annoying, but once you
get the system set up, it's mostly a matter of remembering to add new
files to the right variable in Makefile.am.

If you want to see a complex and complete example of this, see the
Makefile.am for remctl:

http://git.eyrie.org/?p=kerberos/remctl.git;a=blob;f=Makefile.am;h=50d8f808295fba2f0d9ae3490fe5611f077777e3;hb=HEAD

The important bits are the *_FILES variables at the top (and
PERL_DIRECTORIES), the clean-local, distclean-local, and check-local
rules, and all the rules at the bottom of the file.  Note that this is
much more complex than your problem, since it also has to integrate with
the native build systems of Perl, Python, PHP, and Ruby.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>