Makefile error in simple library

From: Arthur Schwarz
Subject: Makefile error in simple library
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 16:47:56 -0700

I'm trying to build and distribute a static library and keep getting a "
warning: 'libslip.a': linking libraries using a non-POSIX  archiver requires
AM_PROG_AR' in 'configure.ac'" message. I don't know why.

The configure.ac lines in question are: (I think)

AC_CONFIG_FILES([
      Makefile
      src/Makefile
])

# automake macro's - REQUIRED
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall -Werror])

# linking libraries using a POSIX archiver
#AM_PROG_AR

# autoconfig macro's
AC_PROG_RANLIB

And the Makefile.am lines are:
root/Makefile.am
        SUBDIRS = src
        AM_CXXFLAGS=-std=gnu++11 -Wall -Wno-reorder -Wno-unused-value -Wno-
address -Wno-sequence-point  -c -g  -MMD -MP -MF
root/src/Makefile.am
        AM_CXXFLAGS=-std=gnu++11 -Wall -Wno-reorder -Wno-unused-value -Wno-
address -Wno-sequence-point  -c -g  -MMD -MP -MF

        lib_LIBRARIES = libslip.a
        libslip_a_SOURCES = ${sources} ${headers}

>From Section Automake Manual Section 8.2 Building a Library it should work.
I've been hitting a wall on this, any ideas would be appreciated.

art