Portable Use of Variables

From: fr33domlover
Subject: Portable Use of Variables
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:15:52 +0200

Hello,

I'm a bit confused about all the expressive features and ways to use makefile
variables, so just to be sure -

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Substitution-Refs.html

Are these uses of variables portable, or should a portable Makefile.am use only
the plain $(var) form without the tricks?

I'm adapting the doxygen Makefile.am from gtkmm (GTK+ C++ binding) for my use,
but they use text functions and variable features a lot with -no-portability,
so I'm trying to make it work with -Wall -Werror. I hope it's worth the
effort :-) Just trying to have a clean makefile...

-- fr33