Re: Rarely rebuilt files

From: fr33domlover
Subject: Re: Rarely rebuilt files
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 21:58:32 +0200

On 2014-11-12
Nick Bowler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 2014-11-11 22:07 +0200, fr33domlover wrote:
> > On 2014-11-11
> > Simon Richter <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
> > Hmmm I think I didn't make myself clear. So just to make sure, before I
> > cause confusion: The files are indeed distributed validaly. The "problem"
> > is that they are not cleaned by `make distclean`. I intentionally made them
> > clean only on `make maintainer-clean`. When `make distcheck` sees they
> > don't get cleaned by `make distclean`, it produces an error.
>
> I think your distribution tarballs are not working properly in VPATH
> builds.  Distcheck has found the problem but it is maybe not reporting
> it very well.  Here's a simplified view of how distcheck tests "make
> distclean":
>
>   - It unpacks the distribution tarball to be tested, and marks all
>     unpacked files read-only.
>
>   - It runs configure in a separate, empty directory, i.e., srcdir
>     != builddir.
>
>   - After doing a bunch of other tests, it runs "make distclean".
>
>   - Then, if the build directory is not empty, report an error.
>
> What is probably happening is that in VPATH builds from your tarball,
> your documentation is being rebuilt even though it was distributed.
> This is leaving files behind in your build directory, which distcheck
> is then complaining about.
>
> Hope that helps,

Maybe this is a problem too, but there's something before that - see the "make
distclean" part above. I put the HTML files to be removed by "make
maintainer-clean", which means that "make distclean" is *not supposed to remove
them* - anyway, this is what I intend. So even without the error you suggest,
it should complain about files left in the builddir.

Am I right?

I'll also check to see if the docs get unnecessarily rebuilt.