Re: Rarely rebuilt files

From: fr33domlover
Subject: Re: Rarely rebuilt files
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 20:37:53 +0200

On 2014-11-12
fr33domlover <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here's part of my code:
>
> all-local: ref
>
> ref: ref-html
> ref-html: ref-full-html ref-api-html
> ref-full: ref-full-html
> ref-api: ref-api-html
> ref-full-html: $(reference_full_devhelp_chosen) \
>                $(dist_reference_full_DATA)
> ref-api-html: $(reference_api_devhelp_chosen) \
>               $(dist_reference_api_DATA)
>
> How does make determine whether it should rebuilt? After unpacking, the tag
> file obviously has new last-modified/created time - maybe this causes make to
> decide it must rebuild? The file is fresh new from the tarball, but it was of
> course built at dist-time...

For the record in mail archives for future reference - the problem was that the
files were in maintainer-clean and not in distclean. This is intentional, and
as expected it causes make distcheck to fail. When moving them to
DISTCLEANFILES, there are no errors.

However, there's an issue with distributed generated docs: There is one copy in
scrdir and another one in builddir. So if you want them both to be cleaned,
make sure maintainer-clean does it :-)

The issue of timestamps Nick mentioned seems to exist too, and it matters
when srcdir == builddir. I'm working on it.