Can I make a convenience library from non-convenience libraries

From: Andy Falanga (afalanga)
Subject: Can I make a convenience library from non-convenience libraries
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 21:23:21 +0000

Following on the heels of my earlier question, wrapping other libraries with
--whole-archive, another question now arises.  While talking with a co-worker,
he made the suggestion of just making a convenience library of the other
libraries.  The reason for the question is, there are no sources for this
library ... just the previous libraries.  All of the examples I see in the
automake documentation for making convenience libraries shows pretty much the
same thing: e.g.

noinst_LTLIBRARIES = convenience.la
convenience_la_SOURCES = ...

What I'm wondering about doing is something like this:

noinst_LTLIBRARIES = convenience.la
convenience_la_LIBADD = $(top_builddir)/Shared/HwMgmt/.libs/libHwMgmt.la

# the python module library
lib_LTLIBRARIES = sata.la
sata_la_LIBADD = convenience.la

Is this something that is supported/possible?

Andy