Re: converting to subdir-objects

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: converting to subdir-objects
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 13:33:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 8 Mar 2015, Bert Wesarg wrote:

So if A/Makefile.am contains:

foo_SRCS = ... $(srcdir)/../foo/bar.c

As far as I am aware, it is wise/required that source paths be subordinate
to the Makefile.am location (no .. bits).

If that would really be a requirement now or with subdir-objects, I
would say its a regression.

I checked the current Automake manual and am not able to find any text which says that a subdirectory needs to be a subdirectory of where the Makefile resides. What is a subdirectory anyway? The generated Makefile would include per-source-file target specifications outside of the directory where the Makefile resides.

Perhaps the ability to use this successfully depends on the implementation of the VPATH and target resolution support in the make program (and possibly make program version) that your project is specifically targeting.

I can not imagine 'make dist' or 'make distcheck' working properly if source files are not subordinate to the directory containing Makefile. How is 'tar' supposed to work?

Harlan's posting here was due to Automake not working as he expected for files which are not in a subdirectory so maybe it does not work.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn