Re: converting to subdir-objects

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: converting to subdir-objects
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 14:23:34 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 8 Mar 2015, Harlan Stenn wrote:

'make dist' and 'make distcheck' have been working fine for a Very Long
Time in this project.

In my attempt to get subdir-objects working NTP, I added
"subdir-objects" to the list of options in the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE line in
its configure.ac file.  I figured I'd add that option, run autoreconf,
'make', and see what happened.

I had the perhaps mistaken impression (due to the mention of "old style" build tree") that you are migrating to a non-recursive build.

The Automake manual is pretty clear about expectations for 'make dist'

https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Dist

Particularly the statement:

"Note that when packages are nested using AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS (see Subpackages), then ‘$(distdir)’ and ‘$(top_distdir)’ are relative to the package where ‘make dist’ was run, not to any sub-packages involved. "

If one has a non-recursive build then there is just one Makefile although a whole build system might be a mix of recursive and non-recursive methodologies. In a non-resursive build, subordinate Makefile's are responsible for copying the files they are responsible for into the distribution.

It seems to me that strategies which are not compatible with Automake's own 'make dist' are not likely to work reliably.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn