Re: how should package config files be installed

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: how should package config files be installed
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 14:30:39 -0600

On 03/31/2015 02:26 PM, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # address@hidden / 2015-03-31 11:40:52 -0600:
>> On 03/31/2015 11:25 AM, Andy Falanga (afalanga) wrote:
>>> I want to distribute the correct *.pc files with the libraries I'm
>>> building.  While it's a simple matter to find the format of this
>>> file (by examining existing ones or online), I'd like to know if
>>> there's a preferred procedure for generating these files.  What
>>> should be done in order to make this work?
>>
>> .pc files are created by the pkg-config tool.  More details on their web
>> site: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/pkg-config/
>
> i can't find any support for this claim anywhere in that "web site"
> (it's a short page).  can you be more specific?

It's a different project that automake, so you'll probably get better
support on the pkg-config mailing list than you will here.  But the page
I linked to above includes a link to their FAQ:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~dbn/pkg-config-guide.html#faq

which goes into more details.  I have not personally converted a project
over to using pkg-config, so I can't provide any better details than
"read the manual".