Re: API for Custom Drivers

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: API for Custom Drivers
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 13:31:08 +0100

On 25 April 2015 at 13:11, Arthur Schwarz <address@hidden> wrote:
>> In "15.3.2 Declaring Custom Test Drivers" we have the automake variables
>> LOG_DRIVER and ext_LOG_DRIVER. Assuming LOG_DRIVER = driver, does the
>> statement mean that to execute "driver" I type:
>>
>>    make driver
>>
>> Instead of
>>    make check ?
>>

> I don't how the statement could mean that. When it mentions an
> arguments passed to the test driver, this is not referring the
> arguments passed to "make".
>
> Q: From the reading it looks like there are options followed by non-options
> on the command line. I guess my confusion is that the options (--options)
> seem to be command line options.

They are command-line options, just not the options passed to the
"make" command line.

> Q: Are there other ways to pass options to a test driver?

I've never used the custom driver feature of Automake and all I know
comes from reading the manual. Section 15.3.2 "Declaring Custom Test
Drivers" appears to explain how to specify a custom test driver to
use.

> Q: How can you select one of perhaps many, test drivers?
> Q: If there are many test drivers how can you select many, but not all, of
> them, "make [options] driver1 driver2 check"?
>

>From what I can see it would be something like "LOG_DRIVER=driver1
make check" to override the test driver to use. I don't think there's
any way of using more than one at once.