Re: Multiple version installation

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: Multiple version installation
Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 09:58:57 -0700

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Andy Falanga (afalanga)
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I am wondering what techniques are considered most useful for managing
> multiple installation of versions.  For example, my team produces a C++
> library which we provide both a C++ and a python API.  A couple of our
> consumers think they will need multiple versions concurrently.  Knowing
> that this product is both a C++ and Python API how would management of
> parallel installations work?
>
> I'm not sure if this is an automake question or not.  If it's not, what
> venue would be the correct one?

In addition to the major-number-on-end-of-shared-library convention,
there's also a convention of putting libraries and include files in
directories and packages whose name has the major number as a suffix.
That's not an Automake thing, though.